The National Federation of the Blind of New York State, Inc., proudly announces our 2014 Scholarship Program. Scholarships will be presented at our State Convention banquet in Niagara Falls, New York, on November 8, 2014.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You are a resident of New York State.
- You are legally blind.
- You are currently accepted in or enrolled in a degree program at the undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate level.
To apply, mail a completed application and essay (described below) to the Scholarship Committee. Alternatively, you can apply online at www.nfbny.org/Scholarshipapp.htm. All application materials must be received on or before September 15, 2014. A member of the NFB of NYS Scholarship Committee will conduct a brief telephone interview with each applicant prior to October 1st.
NFB scholarships are awarded on the basis of scholastic excellence, financial need, and community service. In preparing your essay, you may wish to keep the following things in mind:
- A well written, carefully edited essay will count strongly in your favor.
- The committee members are all successful blind college graduates. Consider how you can most effectively convey your best qualities.
- Since the awards are restricted to blind people, the committee will be interested in the techniques and approaches you use in living as a blind person, as well as your attitude toward and perception of life as a blind person.
- Almost all blind students have financial need. Committee members will assume basic need, so you may choose to refer to this topic only if your need is unusual.
Scholarship finalists are required to attend and participate in the convention (at the Federation’s expense). You will be notified a few weeks prior to the convention if you are a finalist.